Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The hot breakfast

Whatever happened to the old saying, “a chain is only as strong as its weakest link?” To me this is a profound statement today.

Listening to many people say their troubles are over, no longer will they have to pay their mortgage, go to work, and even worry about the doctor, sends chills up my young spine. There is a difference between encouraging someone to do their best and encouraging them to do nothing.

Most people are lazy by nature, it is much more comfortable to stay in bed with the covers pulled tight around your shoulders on cold winter days then to get out of bed, go outside and feed the animals.

Appreciation happens when you do the best you can.
When we are not pushed out of bed, we begin to view ourselves useless. What is the use of getting up? Everything will get done without me.

Imagine sleeping in one morning and your breakfast shows up at your bedside nice and hot. You like it and say, "thank you."

The following day you lay in bed hoping for breakfast, again it shows up, hot.

Then the next day however, the breakfast is cold cereal; this doesn’t match what you were expecting. You were in bed to stay warm and the cereal is cold, you give a sarcastic “Thanks”.

The next day it happens again but you smell bacon and eggs and hear laughter from the kitchen as everyone prepares to go out and work. You complain. “I want the hot breakfast, it is not fair, you don’t like me at all, your downstairs teasing me – that’s why your laughing.”
A hot breakfast is brought up.

That complaining worked.

You do it again until the people begin ignoring you.

You truly begin providing no value; however, you do not see that.

You force yourself out of bed, throw on a robe and go to the neighbors to tell them how misused you are. They feel bad and give you a breakfast.

This pattern repeats it’s self until those who work for their hot breakfast just shut the door.

Watching these people cry and whine because they believe our government will give them the eternal hot breakfast scares me.

It is in my nature to try, to work hard. I am not talented, I am dyslexic, My writing and spelling suffer tremendously, my math skills excel. I am not stupid. Because I do not math the school system – even the collegiate system, I understand my future is in my hands. I will have to create my job, my career. Like many other people with dyslexia had to do – Einstein by today’s teachings would not have been listened to at all!

In watching and hearing the cry for “hot breakfast”, I find a haunting question arise to the point of trying my best, “What is the use?”
AMERICA IT IS GREAT TO MAKE YOUR OWN BREAKFAST!

-David

No comments: